Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
digitalphotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 482Gear list
Like?
Buying Sigma 35 or 24-105 ART for D800E & Df
3 months ago

I'm considering these two lenses because I don't have a good prime and wide to mid-telephoto zoom for both my D800E and Df.

First, the Sigma 24-105mm ART lens. Unfortunately early reviews such as the one on cameralabs.com shows really poor edge performance even when stopped down. Even if it is better than my 24-85VR (of which IQ I detest), D800E may just exacerbate all its flaws. The alternative is to use it for my Df but this camera is not suitable for a long zoom in terms of weight distribution. So basically I won't be happy with using it on either cameras.

Next is the Sigma 35mm ART which is arguably the best 35mm money can buy, and since 35mm is one of my favorite FLs, I will be extremely happy with it. The only issue is the lack of versatility. Especially for a first trip to Cuba coming up tomorrow, a fixed lens may severely limit my creative possibilities.

What do you guys think? Should I just stick with RX1R (35mm) and GR (28mm), my most used FLs, and pair them with D800E/Df + 50 1.2 AIS and 105 2.8 AIS? This way I won't compromise on IQ by using a zoom?

digitalphotographer's gear list:digitalphotographer's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon Df
ANSWER:
Nikon D800E Nikon Df Sony RX1R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow