Leica T is out, but for who?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Alxy
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?
Re: WRONG on the facts
In reply to Harold66, 7 months ago

In general, I listed many points of the T system. Sure not of them are important for everybody, but some are and the problem is that this camera does not shine in any of them.

Harold66 wrote:

Alxy wrote:

Leica T is out.

The exact list of mediocrity points of Leica T:

Slow in many regards, according to the reviews.

REALLY ? And how many reviews would that be considering the camera is out for one day and all reviewers worthy of that title only had a preview of the camera. Not sure what your agenda is but your answers are suspicious.. To say the keast

Review by Steve Huff:

"Slower (around one second) startup"
"Very Slight lag in single shot mode between shots, could be firmware/pre-prod camera issue"
"Camera is not a fast action shooter!"
"The Leica T is NOT a speed demon if you compare it to something like an Olympus E-M1"

DPReview:

"My main gripe is that the process for moving the focus point is convoluted and frustrating, so I resorted to using center-point focus and recompose instead."

AF is contrast detect only, no PDAF. A must today for new cameras of this segment.

Says who ? Who made you the king ?

1. AF of Leica T has no PDAF.

2. All new top-end cameras are coming with on-sensor PDAF. To stay competitive it is a must for new cameras, unless the manufacturer has some other killer feature (or features) or a killer-name, like Leica. PDAF allows for faster AF.

Sony: A6000, A7
Canon: M2, 70D, 650D, 700D
Olympus: E-M1
Fujifilm: X-E2, X-T1
Nikon: 1 System

Again, on-sensor PDAF is the new way and all the manufactures make improvements and advancements in this area. Not having it on a new top-of-the-line mirrorless camera is the past, not the future.

A good example of PDAF is A7 vs A7r. Many buy A7 because of faster AF. A7r on the other hand has a killer-feature - 36Mpx sensor.

Review by Steve Huff:

"AF with Zoom can hunt a little in low light!"
"beats the older Fuji’s by a mile (all before X100s and X-T1)"

DPReview:

"Focusing, at least with the 18-56mm lens, is fast enough to make it competitive with modern mirrorless cameras, albeit not quite as fast as the very best of them."

Techradar:

"not as quick as current models on the market such as the Sony A6000 or Panasonic GX7"

AmateurPhotographer:
"autofocus speed, which, although not sluggish, didn't have the same response and lightning lock-on speed as Panasonic's Light Speed AF system and Fujifilm's Intelligent Hybrid AF system"

Fujifilm X-E2, X-T1, Sony A7, Sony A6000, Canon M2, Nikon 1, Olympus E-M1 have it. Basically each company now has it.

Sensor size - APS-C. Sony A7/A7r are full frame with Carl Zeiss lenses. Some point-and-shoot are APS-C or close. I would also mention Sony R1 here as an example of innovation.

APS is BY FAR with m4/3rds the dominant sensir size in the mirorless market. Mirorless systems in aps size AND SMALLER represent in volume at least 95% of sales. 35mm sensor for mirorless cameras WITH interchangeable market is a NICHE. Market and will remain that way fir years to come. And not to mention that it would make even LESS sense for Leica to go that road considering the M. Lens line- up

If you say that APS-C is dominant sensor size that it is the mediocrity. No contradiction to what I said. Leica did not make anything new in the ares of the sensor size or quality.

35mm sensor in mirrorless is not a niche - it is a new way. Sony created mirrorless full frame cameras less than year ago. This is commendable and bold step forward.

We have to see what happens in 10 years from now. May be other manufactures will come on-board.

There are rumors of Fuji working on FF camera.

I assume you are just confusing what the market wants with what YOU want. Maybe you should get a R1

Actually it was RX1. I am not saying what the market wants. I am saying what innovations are on the market today.

No image stabilization. All other have it in some way - on sensor or in lenses.

partially true , which i guess is ok considering what is coming next

That is fully true:

Sony: in-lens, in-body in SLRs
Canon: in-lens
Olympus: in-body
Fujifilm: in-lens
Nikon: in-lens (?)
Panasonic: in-lens, GX7 in-body

all manufactures have stabilization in some way for zooms at least.

DPReview:
"The zoom doesn't even have optical image stabilization - Leica says it imposes too large a compromise on the optical design - which means the T is about the only system on the market with no image stabilization at all."

Maximum shutter speed is 1/4000. Many have it up to 1/8000

so what. ? The question is who really needs it ? Very few people i suspect

Does not matter how many, but I think more that you suggest. Just one of the cons.

And add to that 1/180 sec flash sync speed. Most of other cameras have either higher speed or unlimited high speed option with some flashes.

No weather sealing. Fujifilm X-T1, Sony A7/A7r, Olympus E-M1 have it.

yes and hiw do you justify this on a camera aimed at being used from the touch LCD. You should really try to THINK. Before you write

May be Leica should think about this. I am not working for them to figure out how to weather-seal a camera with a touch-screen. Just one of the cons.

LCD does not tilt - all other companies have a camera with a tillable one.

SIMPLY NOT. True

Again, it is fully true. All manufacturers have cameras with tillable screens:

Sony: A7/A7r, A6000 (top of the line iin mirrorless)
Canon: 70D, 700D (top of the line for APS-C)
Olympus: E-M5, E-M10, E-M1 (top of the line)
Fujifilm: X-T1 (top of the line)
Nikon: V3, D5300 (top of the line for mirrorless, but consumer level in DSLR)
Panasonic: GH2,GH3,GH4,GX7 (top of the line)

No built-in EVF. Extra 600$ for it. All other companies have a model with EVF built-in.

Even LESS. true than the one before.

???? Yes, Leica T has not built-in EVF and the add-on one costs 600$.

you clearly do not have a lot of verified facts in your thread

i personnally have zero interest in this camera but I think making up stuff as you go is a form of trolling

-- hide signature --

www.haroldglit.com
www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

Found few more things:

DPReview:

"electronically-coupled manual focus"

Does it mean that new Lecia lenses are manual focus by wire???

"Like most cameras, though, the T fails when you try to use Auto ISO in manual exposure mode. You can't apply exposure compensation, so have no control over the image brightness. Instead you just have to accept the camera's metering, whether you like it or not."

Alxy's gear list:Alxy's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow