One of the first pictures I ever made with a DSLR, how to get all sharp?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Cingen
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?
Re: How to get all sharp?
In reply to WryCuda, 6 months ago

WryCuda wrote:

Cingen wrote:

So there isn't necessarily an issue with either my lens or camera? I am starting to get slightly worried now.. :/ If it's simply the lens having it's limits, I can live with that, I planned to buy a new and better lens next year anyways. If there is a technical issue it is a bigger problem though.

There might be an easily correctable issue with your lens/camera combination. Auto-Focus might need fine-tuning.

Here is a post from a thread on this issue, and I show an image from a D7100 with Nikon 18-140mm that previously wasn't performing. It isn't an award-winning shot, but there's lots of detail, thin cables, air-conditioner units etc.

Image is JPEG and slightly sharpened using LightRoom. Sharpening isn't worthwhile until you have a basically good shot to start with.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53551674

Note the details of the shot, aperture, shutter speed etc. The 18-140mm lens is quite a good lens, particularly at 100-140mm. It's not too bad at 18mm either; slight CA at the edges, but pretty good.

Read the rest of the thread (if you dare); it may help resolve your issue.

It might very well be this, but I am a bit confused at the moment.

I thought that AF fine tuning was made to let the camera focus on the "correct" point you selected. How does this influence the general softness of a picture where because of camera settings EVERYTHING should be sharp, not just one point in the picture? Am I understanding AF Fine tuning wrong or..?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow