Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
biza43
Senior MemberPosts: 2,061Gear list
Like?
Re: Long Exposure Question
In reply to clockface, 6 months ago

clockface wrote:

clockface wrote:

I've seen many photos that folks have taken that required a long exposure to achieve. Sometimes ND filters were used and sometimes simply shooting at night or very low light conditions. How does one know how to determine the exposure when shooting in these scenarios? I realize when using an ND filter I can calculate the exposure based on normal (i.e. without the filter) then factor in the filter, but what about at night. Is it trial and error or are there some basic rules? Thanks

Why not put on the filter from the start and let the camera sort the exposure? I thought most cameras these days meter through the lens.

Because you don't learn anything doing it that way.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

So with a 3 stop ND filter you leave it off, let the camera meter the scene, switch to manual, put the filter on, adjust the settings by 3,stops, and then take the pic. Learned a lot?

I have learned the following:

1. Quite often the strenght of the filter is not exactly as reported by the manufacturer. For example, the Lee big Stopper can vary between 9.5 - 10 stops, or thereabouts.

2. I think it is much more useful as to progresso your knowledge to learn so you can make decisions yourself. I prefer to blame myself for mistakes, than blame the camera...

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow