Metabones Speed Booster

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
REDred Photo
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
Re: Metabones Speed Booster
In reply to shigzeo ?, 5 months ago

DJ2014 wrote:

Has anyone tried a Metabones Speed Booster adapter on a Fujifilm X body? Has anyone compared images using the speed booster v normal adapter? I'm considering buying speed booster to use my canon lenses on my X-T1

I use the Speedbooster exclusively. The lenses I use are Nikon Ai/S lenses. It works well enough, but the problem isn't the glass or the adapter, it's that your automatically indexing SLR lenses have to be used stopped down, which when used in conjunction with strobes in dark situations causes the EVF to chop to hell, or you to have to shoot wide open.

Handling of SLR lenses and even rangefinder lenses isn't great on a mirrorless camera. It works, but never ever resembles the fluidity and ease/speed of the same lenses on their original mounts. If you can live with those (somewhat massive caveats) go for it. I love the Speedbooster.

I partially agree with the comment about stop down metering... it does require a bit of adapating your process, which may be cumbersome to you. I don't know how the canon lenses stop down manually. With my contax lenses, I have manual aperture control, and yes I have to stop down to f8 if that's what I want to shoot at with strobes in the studio. The EVF does get a bit grainy and less fluid on the xt1 with so little light coming through, but I've found that even the low level illumination provided by modeling lamps is more than sufficient. In fact, the EVF automatically brightens in those dark situations, which actually makes low light manual focus easier than I ever found with the optical viewfinder. The greater difficulty comes not from low light but more from depth of field issues; when focusing at f8, nothing ever really "pops" into focus like it does at f2.8.
--
Neil Buckland
REDred Photo School
Seattle, WA

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow