Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jerry Fusselman
Regular MemberPosts: 429Gear list
Like?
EVF on the alpha 6000 compared to NEX-6 and alpha 7r
6 months ago

My wife and I both checked the EVF on these three cameras with the little 16-50mm zoom in low light. We used the 16-50mm because at this moment we have two of them, which makes comparisons much easier. We wanted to test the conventional wisdom that the NEX-6 's EVF is better than the alpha 6000's. It's not, at least not in low light:

All three cameras were set to auto ISO, P mode, and zoomed to 50mm. The light was low---indoor at night with a medium-to-high-power floor lamp in a smallish living room. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 the best, we had these results:

• Alpha 7R with ASP-C Size Capture = AUTO, let's call it an 8 on the scale from 1 to 10. (With ASP-C Size Capture = OFF instead of AUTO, it is more like a 6.)
  • NEX-6, it's dark and grainy, so let's call it a 4---far inferior to the 7R.
  • Alpha 6000 (which arrived today) is a 7. Despite the lower EVF resolution compared to the NEX-6, the EVF looks much better on the alpha 6000: The alpha 6000 is much brighter, the contrast is higher, the colors are cleaner, and the noise is much lower.

I doubt that anyone could disagree: The EVF on the alpha 6000 is much better in low light than the NEX-6's EVF, despite the NEX-6's considerably higher EVF resolution.

-- hide signature --

Jerry Fusselman

Jerry Fusselman's gear list:Jerry Fusselman's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 100D +40 more
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow