Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Jerry Fusselman
Contributing MemberPosts: 534Gear list
Like?
EVF on the alpha 6000 compared to NEX-6 and alpha 7r
Apr 25, 2014

My wife and I both checked the EVF on these three cameras with the little 16-50mm zoom in low light. We used the 16-50mm because at this moment we have two of them, which makes comparisons much easier. We wanted to test the conventional wisdom that the NEX-6 's EVF is better than the alpha 6000's. It's not, at least not in low light:

All three cameras were set to auto ISO, P mode, and zoomed to 50mm. The light was low---indoor at night with a medium-to-high-power floor lamp in a smallish living room. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 the best, we had these results:

• Alpha 7R with ASP-C Size Capture = AUTO, let's call it an 8 on the scale from 1 to 10. (With ASP-C Size Capture = OFF instead of AUTO, it is more like a 6.)
  • NEX-6, it's dark and grainy, so let's call it a 4---far inferior to the 7R.
  • Alpha 6000 (which arrived today) is a 7. Despite the lower EVF resolution compared to the NEX-6, the EVF looks much better on the alpha 6000: The alpha 6000 is much brighter, the contrast is higher, the colors are cleaner, and the noise is much lower.

I doubt that anyone could disagree: The EVF on the alpha 6000 is much better in low light than the NEX-6's EVF, despite the NEX-6's considerably higher EVF resolution.

-- hide signature --

Jerry Fusselman

Jerry Fusselman's gear list:Jerry Fusselman's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7S Sony Alpha 7R II Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +26 more
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow