Stick with Nikon or Go for the 5DIII ?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,865Gear list
Like?
Re: Stick with Nikon or Go for the 5DIII ?
In reply to lefantian, 7 months ago

lefantian wrote:

Hello everyone~ I'm a wedding and people (mainly newborn) photographer, and I also like to shoot landscape and daily life of family. Currently I'm using the Nikon D3s with several lenses. However, one thing I find struggling is the skintone out of the Nikon D3s always requires some labor (I mainly shoot Asian people, and the customers here do like kind of “pink and a little magenta” skintones rather than yellowish): maybe due to the AWB, and maybe also due to the camera's own color rendering.

I’m considering adding new cameras to my workflow, and the choices are:

A). Stick with Nikon and buy a D800 (with D3s as backup);

B). Switch to Canon and go for the 5DIII (maybe with 6D as a backup camera).

And once the decision is made, I’ll stick with the chosen brand for many years.

My concerns are:

1). IS there a big difference between the D800 and 5DIII in skintone rendering? Do Canon users always need to intensively adjust color for a better skintone?

2). IS the AF system of the 5DIII fast, accurate and reliable enough?

The burst shoot speed is not an issue as far as I can see. So please don’t tell me to go for the D4s/1DX as my current budget is limited to the D800/5DIII level… Thanks!

I second the previous reply in terms of Color Checker.  Assuming you use Lightroom or Photoshop I would recommend XRite CC wholeheartedly.  I have a friend who shoots Canon.  I don't like his skin tones.  Way too rosy pink for me.  But to each their own.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow