JPEG, Aperture, and Lightroom

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,158Gear list
Like?
Re: JPEG, Aperture, and Lightroom
In reply to Identity, 6 months ago

Identity wrote:

There's been some lively discussion recently about the merits of Lightroom for Fuji RAW conversion. Since I shoot JPEG+RAW, and have recently switched from Aperture to Lightroom, I thought I'd post a set of sample images for people to compare for themselves. Normally I would adjust a few things beyond these default conversions but I wanted to show what you get with basically no effort to use as a starting point.

Personally, my favourite of the bunch is the Lightroom RAW conversion with the Provia profile applied. Aperture does a bad job here, as the coat and inside of the hat are actually pink and not red, and the skin tone is not pleasant. I could not get the colours I wanted out of Aperture at all. Aperture generally has a pretty good reputation around these parts, while Lightroom gets criticized often, but I think Lightroom does a commendable job, especially with the latest release.

As usual, use whatever tool works best for you!

OOC JPEG, Provia, Shadows -1, Highlights -1

Aperture default RAW conversion

Lightroom default RAW conversion

Lightroom default RAW conversion with Provia profile

Thanks for posting. To my eyes, Aperture's rendering is better than Lightroom's default (non-profile) rendering. What would be interesting is whether you could duplicate LR's Provia profile by starting with the LR default and adjusting from there.... then compare to the best you can achieve through Aperture.

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow