Leica T is out, but for who?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Ron A 19
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
Re: Leica T is out, but for who?
In reply to Alxy, 6 months ago

Well put!

I liked Leica when they were selling products that nobody could match. When they were showing off the images and art that one could create with their products. Nowadays, I think many other companies have caught up technically in terms of image quality (Zeiss, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Fuji and even Sigma, probably others). Ignoring size or price, if you compared the current Leica M 50mm Apo to the Sigma 50mm art at f2, the Sigma will likely be technically superior. Leica talks about milling aluminum blocks like it has never been done (unlike the billion devices sold by Apple).

From what I can tell, Leica is embracing the transformation into a boutique optics manufacturer. Since they can't compete with Japanese camera makers in electronics or in price, they improve the fit and finish of their products by adding a bit more metal and pushing prices to increase profits. Even posting 40 minutes of obscure sanding of an aluminum camera unibody.

At the same time, I'm pretty happy that the average consumer can finally own products that surpass that of Leica.

Alxy wrote:

Leica T is out.

If this camera would be released by any other company you would think somebody went crazy over there. An APS-C camera for 1850$? With 2 native lenses available. First is the zoom 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. Looks like the cheap zooms that come for almost nothing with most of the interchangeable lens cameras today. The only difference - it will cost 1700$. That's one extra zero. The second lens is 23mm f/2.0 for 1900$, not a super-fast one by any standard, but super-expensive by the most.

Let's take Canon M system for example. They have very similar camera with 2 lenses, when it was first released. Would anybody take this camera seriously at 1850$ for a body and 1700$ for Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM? I guess not, sounds like a 1st of April joke. But for Leica the price and mediocrity of the T system looks to be Ok.

What makes Leica special in their niche are small full format cameras with small, fast and sharp lenses. Actually the smallest compared to other lenses for full format, the fastest (50mm f/0.95) and the sharpest with highest images quality. The other niche is the the larger-than-full frame S system, which is well regarded as well for the image quality.

Leica T wants to ride the wave of Leica's success without actually offering anything special. It is like a son of a rich and famous guy, who gets along using connections, money any name of his father. It appears to be an average camera put into an expensive metal body and sold for an astronomical price.

In comparison, in the past years all companies have made significant advances in all areas and some new systems have appear with innovative designs - Sony A7/A7r with Carl Zeiss lenses, Fujifilm X with small and fast lenses, M43rd Olympus E-M1 with really small lenses, may be you can think of some other ones.

This new Leica is not for a gear-head or a photographer. It is for a rich person seeking a point-and-shoot style camera, who does not know what to do with the money and wants to have the label to show-off, to get somehow associated with Leica's past success.

The exact list of mediocrity points of Leica T:

Slow in many regards, according to the reviews.

AF is contrast detect only, no PDAF. A must today for new cameras of this segment. Fujifilm X-E2, X-T1, Sony A7, Sony A6000, Canon M2, Nikon 1, Olympus E-M1 have it. Basically each company now has it.

Sensor size - APS-C. Sony A7/A7r are full frame with Carl Zeiss lenses. Some point-and-shoot are APS-C or close. I would also mention Sony R1 here as an example of innovation.

No image stabilization. All other have it in some way - on sensor or in lenses.

Maximum shutter speed is 1/4000. Many have it up to 1/8000

No weather sealing. Fujifilm X-T1, Sony A7/A7r, Olympus E-M1 have it.

LCD does not tilt - all other companies have a camera with a tillable one.

No built-in EVF. Extra 600$ for it. All other companies have a model with EVF built-in.

Ron A 19's gear list:Ron A 19's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow