X-T1 goes to Beach...

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Evan Effa
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,340Gear list
Like?
Re: Watercolor Effect
In reply to masterofdeception, 4 months ago

masterofdeception wrote:

These are lovely. So I'm wondering why the pixel peepers aren't all over you telling you that the watercolor effect is spoiling your shots? Or is is that they daren't come on this thread? I wonder why that is? Come on guys, tell us what you don't like about these (to my eyes) wonderful shots. I'd love to know. Please!

Thank you for looking & your nice compliments.

Yes it is easy to get so caught up in the mechanics of the process that we lose sight of the image as a whole.

You make an interesting observation. Many of these were processed in LR 5.4. (It's VERY easy to dial in the color & effect I want using LR; but , the watercolor effect is there when you look closely.  SOme images more than others, but it is there. This doesn't matter at all for web presentation, but for printing larger images, it would definitely be visible.)

I have to admit, I am a pixel peeper at heart. The detail rendition of the Low Tide: Middle Beach image in LR for example, is not good enough if one wanted to get the best detail out of this image. (I tried Iridient for this example, but the trees silhouetted against the sky had a nasty green fringing to them that I couldn't eliminate. The detail rendition in the middle ground & shadows was excellent though.)  (I would like to try Aperture but there are no trial versions available anymore.)

Capture One seemed to give me the best overall detail rendition and a reasonably robust image to port into Photoshop.  I personally dislike the C1 workflow though as it needs more work and a trip to Photoshop to get the best out of it but for Fuji X images where I want the maximum quality (e.g. printing larger) it would be my first choice.

-evan

-- hide signature --
 Evan Effa's gear list:Evan Effa's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow