Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dr Wu
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
V3: "...a bit of a kludge"
8 months ago

I own a V1 which I very much like. However, like many others in this forum, I have been struggling to articulate my feelings towards the new V3 and the future of the 1-system in general. Something Thom Hogan has just written (a writer whom I admire and frequently find quite insightful in respect to his analysis of Nikon and the industry more generally) in his "First Impressions" analysis of the V3 has crystallized and concisely summarized my emerging reaction:

Thom Hogan: "While Nikon didn’t take a direct route to get there, the V3 shoots and handles more like we wanted the V1 to back when the Nikon 1 was introduced. Yet I still can’t get over the impression that the camera is a bit of a kludge: the non-integrated EVF and optional grip are a step backward, I think."

And later:

"Had Nikon made the V3 with an integrated EVF and just put the darned hand grip into the body design, then priced the body at US$899 with the FT-1, I think we’d be in the territory where current Nikon 1 users would be rejoicing and more users would be joining them. At the current pricing with the awkwardness of the options, I’m not sure the value is there for anyone but the dedicated Nikon 1 user."

Exactly.  And so I find myself assessing - am I destined to be a dedicated Nikon 1 user?  To be clear, I think one can hold the views just articulated, above, by Mr. Hogan and remain enthusiastic about the V3, just not as unequivocally enthusiastic as could have been. Do I continue to invest (the 6.7-13mm lens) or do I save my money for the inevitable jump to another not-so-kludgy mirrorless system where it seems one can have it all in a single, logically-evolved package (e.g., E-M1 or XT-1)?

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V3 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow