ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TigTillinghast
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
70D with 2.8 70-200 + 1.4 extender is a bit more flexing than I'd like
3 months ago

Please tell me I'm being oversensitive.

Since I sold my 100-400 in hopes of eventually getting a 150-600 Tamron, I'm left with my 70-200 II IS as my "long" lens, so I've been sticking at the far end of a 1.4x extender (II).

This has been working pretty darned well, but I have been noticing as I hold the camera that I can feel a few mil of play or flex between the camera and the extender and the extender and the lens. I'm not talking about gaps opening up, but rather an ability to bend the end of the lends one way or another by a few millimeters with the equivalent pressure of just the lens's own weight.

I have to think that this isn't good for image quality when it flexes.

When taking pictures, I'm supporting the lens at the center of gravity, so this minimizes the flexing, but my question is this: is this normal? I'd have expected the EOS mounts to be pretty solid.

Thanks!

TigTillinghast's gear list:TigTillinghast's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +4 more
Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow