One of the first pictures I ever made with a DSLR, how to get all sharp?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Cingen
Regular MemberPosts: 142
Like?
Re: One of the first pictures I ever made with a DSLR, how to get all sharp?
In reply to iljitsch, 5 months ago

iljitsch wrote:

What kind of lens is this?

On my computer both shots don't look super sharp at 100% but also not terribly blurry, but these forums aren't optimized for high resolution displays so it's hard to tell how bad the problem is.

If you want to increase your depth of field for landscapes, obviously increasing the f number helps but you will at some point run into diffraction. Don't listen to common wisdom in this regard, but experiment yourself! Even if diffraction limits the sharpness of what's in focus then the benefit of wider depth of field may be worth it to go to f/16 or f/22. Also, find the right place to focus on, I think DoF extends about one third in front and two thirds behind, so find something around the middle of the scene but a bit closer to the foreground to focus on.

Other than that the only thing you can do is use a wider lens to increase DoF.

As for general sharpness: if your lens isn't too terrible, turn off distortion correction and/or chromatic aberration correction. This messes with the location of the pixels and will thus reduce sharpness. Keep your ISO setting as low as you can and if you need to go higher, you may want to limit the noise reduction that the camera applies. You also need a short shutter speed to avoid camera shake, but short shutters, small apertures and low ISO don't go together, so use a tripod.

And stay away from HDR of course, as you're now combining multiple images shot with some time between them, which is asking for trouble unless you are photographing a mountain from a camera on a concrete tripod.

The lens I'm using is the 18-140 kit lens. Thanks alot for the advices!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow