One of the first pictures I ever made with a DSLR, how to get all sharp?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Mark Scott Abeln
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,973Gear list
Like?
Re: One of the first pictures I ever made with a DSLR, how to get all sharp?
In reply to Cingen, 6 months ago

Cingen wrote:

So the main things I should do is up the shutter speed (or add a tripod) and increase the aperture to 11? I was afraid of bringing the aperture up too high because of all the things I read about difraction...

No — sorry, I was a bit unclear with my terminology. The bigger the aperture number, the smaller the aperture. With f/11 you risk a bit more softness, as well as a higher ISO or longer shutter speed, which are all bad for sharpness. But softness due to diffraction can be counteracted by adding sharpening.

For this subject, you might get away with f/8, which is a wider aperture opening, if you focus on something midway between the nearest and farthest objects you want tolerably sharp.

If the f/numbers are still bewildering, try taking a photo while the camera is pointed at you — see how the aperture size changes with the aperture setting. A big number will give you a little hole, and a small number will give you a big hole.

Also, I just realised this was actually a very bad spot to stand for taking a photograph. This picture had to be taken at 1000ISO to just be able to get a 1/100 shutter speed. I guess this is to blame because I was standing in a heavily shadowed area?

Do you have a tripod? This ought to solve your problems.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Rokinon 85mm F1.4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow