Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alton (TN)
Senior MemberPosts: 1,001
Like?
7d (or 70D) + Tamron 150-600 Bird pictures
6 months ago

I'm considering adding the Tamron 150-600 for bird pictures. I own 100-400 and 400 F5.6L but find I use the Bigma (Sigma 50-500 OSII) most of the time because of the reach. Generally I'm pretty happy with those lens.

I didn't have too much luck with the 100-400 as it was sent to Canon a few times in need of recalibration and that got to be expensive. But when it was on it took decent pictures but not better than the Bigma or as good as the 400 5.6.

The Bigma surprises me and there is not enough difference in the 400 5.6L and it to worry about. I usually opt for it for that little bit of extra reach.

I've read some on the forums about the Tamron now and again the extra reach intrigues me. I'm also about to give up on a 7DII or whatever the successor to the 7D will be called and reluctantly have started considering the 70D as at least a running mate for my current 7D. I've even considered a 7100D.

But for now, I want to ask anyone with bird pictures using the Tamron and the 7D or 70D to post some pictures so hopefully I can assess the feather detail and other performance characteristics of this lens combo.

I understand that there are a few AF issues associated with the lens and I am aware of that. I will make sure those issues are resolved before I bought this lens. I just want to see what the images look like so far.

Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

Alton

Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow