Anyone else having battery discharge problems with 70D?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ppage
Senior MemberPosts: 1,615Gear list
Like?
Anyone else having battery discharge problems with 70D?
8 months ago

I bought the 70D in March and since then I've bought a spare battery.  Both batteries are fine until the charge goes below about 80%.  After that they'll discharge completely.  I don't know if they'd do it when the camera is on; my experience has been that I'll turn the camera off and the battery is dead the next time I turn it on.  The last time this happened (yesterday) the camera had been off for only three hours.

I did some research and other people have had similar problems in the past with other Canon cameras but they all seemed to be specific to using a particular Tamron lens.  I am using the Canon 17-55 IS USM.

I spoke to someone at the store where I bought the camera and they said they'd ship it to Canon and get it fixed at no cost but I'd be without the camera for 2 to 8 weeks.  I bought this camera when I did so that I'd have it for the summer, so this option isn't terribly appealing, but I'm documenting each instance of the problem in case I need it.

Does anyone have any similar experiences or insights or suggestions?  (I won't do anything that could void the warranty such as taking the camera apart.)

Thanks,
Peter

ppage's gear list:ppage's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow