FA*400/5.6 + 1.4X HD AW - Conclusion (2 imgs)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,927
Like?
FA*400/5.6 + 1.4X HD AW - Conclusion (2 imgs)
7 months ago

Hi folks,

I have come to the conclusion that when I was shooting the Pentax K-3 + FA*400/4.6 + Pentax 1.4X HD AW at the Bighorns the other day, the reason my images were not so sharp was becaue of the very overcast lighting in combination with trying to autofocus on the earthtones of the Bighorns. So, at the suggestion of KL Matt I did some tests this morning of PDAF versus CDAF using that same K-3 + FA*400/5.6 + 1.4X HD AW. I shot in RAW using AF-S, center focus point, matrix metering, 2 second timer, using a heavy tripod and gimbal. The subject distances ranged from about 30 feet to 300 feet. Converted the images to JPG and resized them to 1504x1000 and uploaded to my site. The images are img_01.jpg through img_30.jpg. The odd numbers are PDAF and the even numbers are CDAF. Below I have inserted img_01.jpg and img_02.jpg. So, if you would like to view any of the other images just open one of the two images below in a new window then change the name at the end of the URL to img_03.jpg through img_30.jpg.

It appears to me that the images are pretty danged good and not very much difference between the PDAF and CDAF. I did notice that img_25.jpg (PDAF) is less sharp than img_26.jpg (CDAF). I think that might have to do with trying to focus on the glass cover of the electric meter (PDAF does not do as well as CDAF in that situation).

Anyway, I declare that this rig is going to be usable for me under the right conditions and using the proper support (tripod, monopod, or good handholding technique). You can each decide for yourselves if the rig might be usable for you.

Here are two of the images.

Image #1 - PDAF

Image #2 - CDAF

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow