Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Anniem0319
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Need help choosing a lens. TIA!
4 months ago

I'm a beginning photographer, only been doing this for about 2 years now.  And let me tell you, even though I'm a graphic artist, who SHOULD understand stuff like this, it has NOT come easily to me at all!!!!  I'm working hard through every bit of knowledge.

So, I recently decided that I should pick a 'family' to stick with, and upgrade my gear.  Even though I still struggle, I've never loved anything quite so much!  So I know I'm in for the long haul now.  And I chose Nikon.  I got the D5200, which I think is going to be a camera I can grow with for a very long time.

I'm starting to understand that it's really the lens that makes the difference, though.  I had been using a Tamron 18-270 for my previous Sony, and I got the same lens for this new Nikon.  Someone here pointed out to me that may not be the best choice.  But if I thought understanding CAMERAS was like learning a new language, understanding lenses is just - I can't even go there yet!

I know you seasoned pros will want to know how the type of photography I do to answer this question.  Mostly landscape and candid people shots.  I like to capture excellent references for the fine art I do, and I particularly like to have some decent zoom so total strangers aren't feeling like I'm getting in their face when I shoot.  As I've gotten better at this, I've started doing corporate photo shoots, mostly static things like products or machinery.

I'd love to hear ALL thoughts.  Brand, focal length, if I should broaden at this point into 2 lens categories.  1 thing I really need is a lens with image stabilization.  I know the best photos happen with a tripod, but I'm also a mom of an 11 year old, with 2 dogs, so frequently my 'photography walks' are already laden with additional 'stuff' to carry.  And since I do love my candid people shots, you kinda lose the element of surprise if you set up a tripod first!!

Thanks for reading through all this.  What I love about photography and art is that, no matter how good you get, there's always a lifetime of information still to learn ahead of you.  I find that exhilarating.  To get some insight from those ahead of me is such a gift. 

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D5200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow