Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Bokeh comparison between Sigma, Otus and Nikkor 58mm
In reply to alabaster, 5 months ago

alabaster wrote:

David Whysong wrote:

That linked picture is nice, but it's not the only nice photography I've seen done with a 50mm. It's not enough to say "this unsharp lens is super special because it takes nice low-resolution pictures with good bokeh." Lots of cheap lenses do that.

You may have missed the point. Lloyd does not produce many interesting pictures on his site. They seem to be rather technically oriented landscape shots, photos of his bikes and backyard, etc. Now my purpose is not to lambast DigLloyd at all, but the irony of his 58mm review is that the photos of his daugter are very endearing/lovely shots, which is unusual, and despite this, it turns out he doen't like the lens - GO FIGURE.

It happens in the forums as well, the requirements of a lens are different for most photographers, following Lloyd was ok for a while until I felt like I was on a goat trail instead of a pavement for street. Some lenses are more ideal for close to mid distances but its only after you climb a couple of hills with Lloyd that you realise he is talking to the scapers as though no one else existed. His shots around the house were uninspiring but the info he produces is extensive and even if you cannot see the photo you like or the genre you are involved in, he does add to the information you might need to buy a lens that cannot be returned. He also called the zf25/2.8 a cult lens when it was clearly LOMO to a street photographer and I think once I saw a flower pot I liked and decided then it was time to move on.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow