Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
robonrome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,312Gear list
Like?
Help with steep manual lens learning curve needed - Voightlander 17.5 + GX7
8 months ago

Hi all, I've been umming and ahing about buying into Voightlander ever since the 17.5 was announced... love the idea of a fast 35mm equivalent lens. The 17.5 has been pretty hard to come by in Australia and that's what has kept it at bay... but today it was in stock at a good price at a local retailer and I sucumbed.

A serious chunk of metal and glass, but now feeling a little overwhlemed as I've never shot a manual lenses on m43 before. Managed to get past the basics of setting "shoot w/o lens" to "on", setting up focus peaking (works well) and that pushing the back thumbwheel gets me the maginified view but beyond that I'm wobbly.

It keeps asking me for the focal length for the stabiliser which is default I think to 35mm...should this be set to 35mm (as FF equivalent) or 17.5mm (18mm the closest) for this lens? It asks again when I turn the camera on and off whioch is a tad annoying - can that be stopped?

What mode are people generally shooting in when using lenses like this ... I tend to use Aperture Priority (which gives me auto ISO), but wondered is full manual more the go here? In aperture priority mode and using auto ISO it seems to want to run a shutter speed much higher than is needed - e.g. 1/125th of a second... not sure why ...when I use my lumix 20mm lens and auto iso it tends to favour 1/60th of a sec?

Any other tips or experiences people can share to help me get up to speed gratefull accepted.

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow