drj3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,291Gear list
Like?
Re: Consumer Reports rates Panasonic GX7 top mirrorless camera
In reply to pede59, 5 months ago

pede59 wrote:

s_grins wrote:

This is a huge deal for Panasonic.

Probably true. But i cannot imagine that a lot of photo enthusiasts look for CR for camera reviews.

Probably true, but I think they probably have a much larger effect on non-professional camera sales than DPR or DXO or the equivalent.  I have a several of friends who have recently purchased cameras (mirror less and DSLR), and they knew nothing about DPR until I suggested they check out the Forum related to their new camera.  They don't use Lightroom or even Photoshop Elements, but they did spend $1000-$2000 based on what they read CR and/or what the sales person in a camera store told them.  They will probably use the kit lens/flash or maybe sometime in the future purchase a relatively inexpensive telephoto zoom.  They will probably never use anything other than jpeg and will view their images on their computer, share them with fiends online and sometimes send them to Costco or the equivalent for printing.  The CR review is probably accurate for their use.

CR does have the distinction of having no commitment to anyone and does not rely on equipment specifically selected by and provided the manufacturer, since they purchase review samples, and thus have no reservation about giving a bad review when they believe it is deserved.  They don't have to worry about upsetting the company that owns them or upsetting their advertisers.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BFGNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow