Did I purchase a faulty used lens? Any help would be appreciated...

Started Apr 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Forum MemberPosts: 96
Did I purchase a faulty used lens? Any help would be appreciated...
Apr 23, 2014

Some of you know that I was interested in a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 for my A55. I found a decent deal on eBay for a used one, so I pulled the trigger. I've been testing it out on my A55, and I've been having some issues:

1) Sometimes, my camera does not recognize the lens and shows "F --" as the aperture. I can't focus or anything when this happens. I need to turn my camera off and on (sometimes multiple times) to get it to work again. Sometimes, it even gives me an error message on the screen.

2) Every once in a while, the autofocus on the lens stops working (yes I checked the AF switch). When I press the shutter halfway, nothing happens. While this problem is happening, the focus ring sometimes gives off a strange moan and turns slowly by itself, as if the motor has jammed or something. Turning off/on the camera doesn't work, and I need to unmount and remount the lens (sometimes multiple times) to make it work again. When it works again, it goes back to working perfectly fine and focusing very quickly, as if nothing ever happened.

These problems occur about 30% of the time I use it, and works perfectly fine the other 70%. This is the 3rd lens I've used on my A55, and the first non-Sony lens.

Then lens otherwise is in fantastic condition, and cosmetically looks almost new (bit of dust inside lens). I've contacted the seller, and he assured me that he has never had any of these issues with his A580 and is surprised that I'm having them. That said, he is giving me 14 days from receipt to return it if I desire.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is there any troubleshooting I can do, or settings I can change on my camera to have it recognize the Tamron better?

Sony Alpha SLT-A58 Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow