Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,166Gear list
Like?
best laptop for a hobby photographer?
4 months ago

My current laptop is years old and predates my return to photography.  Now I'm considering a new one and being able to download images from a camera and view, store and tweak them is a significant need.  Other tasks this laptop will have to perform include writing and editing prose, blogging, and general internet activities like hanging around in forums. My major graphics work will still take place on my desktop.

I am not interested in developing RAW files at this time, but I will need to browse and organize my JPEGs and do chores like cropping,  leveling, and reducing image size/dpi for the web.  I am currently using a combination of software I already have lying around, like Paint Shop Pro 8, the GIMP,  and something called ZoomBrowser EX that came free with a Canon point and shoot,  but I would not be opposed to installing a proper image management suite that can do all of this in one place.  Recommendations in this area are also welcome.

My desktop is currently in transition from XP to Windows 7, but I would be open to a laptop running another OS as long as I could share files between the two using a flash drive and by email/Dropbox.  I would also like to have an external hard drive for extra storage and backup.

It's been so long since I bought anything I have no idea what's out there.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow