Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,473Gear list
Like?
Surprised by the Voigtlander 21 mm f:4 lens with A7
8 months ago

Today I unboxed the Voigtlander 21 mm f:4 lens, a nice optional lens hood and a Leica M to Sony FE adapter, and rushed out for some initial test shooting. Voigtlander also have a 21 mm f:1.8 lens, but I am going for the compact one, building an ultra-small & feather-light full frame kit.

This lens is just so cute on the A7, worth the cost even if the optical performance ins't that great!

Still, my test photos came out surprisingly sharp, with high contrast and less vignetting and purple corners than expected, compared to reviews and experiences from other Voightlander lens users (though they did not use the A7). The same can be said for the Voigtlander 15 mm f:4.5 and 35 mm f:1.4 lenses, which I tried on my A7 before I ordered the 21 mm f:4 lens. The issues with vignetting and purple corners were easily corrected in Lightroom.

The lens seems to perform very good at all apertures, from wide open to stopped down to f:16, and even at f:22 diffraction softness wasn't that bad. A bit soft wide open though. But hey, this is a 21 mm full frame lens in a very small package! Seems like I will enjoy this lens a lot!

Here are some of my test shots. I will be back with more photos and also a picture showing the lens on the A7 - smaller than the Zeiss 35 mm f:2.8 with original hood.

Here are some test shots. Enjoy!

A fishing enthusiast training for the salmon season, starting in june! Voigtlander 21 mm f:4 at f:8.

Voigtlander 21 mm, purple corners not fixed. 1/60 sec at f:11

Voigtlander 21 mm, purple corners quick-fix with Lightroom. 1/60 sec at f:11

The required 100% crop picture from the frame above. Without this, the post is more og less worthless!

-- hide signature --

So easy to be negative - so hard to be constructive!

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow