Brief arguments for/against the D600 (for action shooters)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,083Gear list
Like?
Brief arguments for/against the D600 (for action shooters)
6 months ago

For:

• It's very good at high ISOs
  • The AF system is more capable than most people suggest (it's on about the same level as the D3s's AF system, and you can get really good results with ~20 year old lenses like the AF-I 300/2.8)
  • In good light, 24 MP offers quite a bit of resolution
  • Prices are way down because of the dust issues. But if you're shooting action with the lens wide open, you're not going to see the dust anyways.

Against:

• Nikon cameras in general just keep breaking. My D600, which I got new about a year and a half ago, has had the aperture lever jammed twice. I can't use G-type lenses on the camera anymore, and can't stop down more than two stops even with lenses that have aperture rings. And I suspect it isn't a fluke either. My used D3s has misaligned left points (left points are always consistently off compared to the center), but it's used so I'll give Nikon a pass on that. I also used someone else's D3 briefly last year, and it had a broken metering mode switch. The only Nikon cameras I've seen that are always working perfectly are entry level models that only get taken out several times a month.

Basically, if it doesn't break, you're golden.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow