The difference between a serious prime lens and an average prime lens.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rick_Hunter
Contributing MemberPosts: 591Gear list
Like?
The difference between a serious prime lens and an average prime lens.
5 months ago

These are 100% crops from a D600
To the left: Carl Zeiss Distagon 35/2 T*
To the right: Nikkor AF-S 50/1.4 G

Both shot at F2 and 100 ISO, tripod, remote release, remote wireless flash for lighting. Camera has been moved between the two shots to equalize subiect's size in the frame.

Even if the nikkor is stopped down one stop and the Zeiss is wide open... The zeiss just blows it out of the water. Please note that I have repeated the test 3 times to make sure I did not misfocus the nikkor.... But even manually focusing it with 100% magnified live view yelded no different results.
I always thought the 50/1.4 to be a mediocre lens. This just confirms it. Probably the worst lens in my arsenal. What's the point of having a 1.4 lens that's not sharp until 2.8 and even then is just about as sharp as the 24-70 2.8? Meh...

Rick_Hunter's gear list:Rick_Hunter's gear list
Nikon D3S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow