Should I be impressed? J1 - a7 shoot out?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
GXRuser
Contributing MemberPosts: 656
Like?
Re: Should I be impressed? J1 - a7 shoot out?
In reply to Blanko00, 3 months ago

Blanko00 wrote:

Are you sure the new J wouldn't be a good fit? Or for that matter one of the new APS-C compacts? Or, given what you're demonstrating, maybe your current J1 is just fine?

Reading the preceding conversation, one of the biggest problems when learning photography, with the current crop of cameras and in particular the Nikon 1s is access to photocentric controls. When I learnt photography at uni we all had a Pentax K1000 or Olympus OM10, with the manual adaptor. You could just 'work' these cameras. I think that level of nanual access is really important when your learning. I don't really see the new Nikon 1 releases improving on that. I feel they're great if you just want the camera to make decisions, or if you're a set it and forget type of photographer. Nothing wrong with either approach, but if you wanna get 'under the hood' the 1 just isn't great.

If you've a Ricoh dealer near you, try handling the new APS-C GR. It's like a photographer designed it. I've owned Ricoh cameras in the past, for manipulating settings, few DSLRs are this well thought out. The lenses are sharp as a tack. It gives you 90% of what a Leica gives you, at a fraction of the cost. Then again, if you don't like 28mm, it ain't no good, but I'd still recommend handling, just to see how a camera should feel.

The GR (or Coolpix A) are superb cameras.

The J1 with the 10mm f2.8 has an equivalent FOV. I even think the J1/10mm combination is a very reasonable alternative to either the GR or A for street photography due to the FAST hybrid AF. (one should also consider the V series as well).

My issue with Nikon USA is that they have made it very difficult to pair the Jx or Vx with the 10mm without also having to buy the kit lens.

(I know that in Canada and Asia Nikon distributors sold the V1 with the 10mm).

Full disclosure: I use a Ricoh GR for my wide angle needs. I use a V2 with either the 18.5 for low light or indoors imaging and the 30-110 VR for telephoto and macro (with a Nikon 3T or 4T achromatic close-up lens) photography. I looked for several used 10mm f2.8 lenses to pair with a J1 for my wide angle use, but both the 10mm I examined had very rough lens mounts noted when mounting. After I sold the J1 and bought the superb GR, I found an example of the 10mm f2.8 that had very smooth mounting.

If Nikon had used the same (or compatible) battery in the V2 as with the J1 (and V3), I would have returned the superior GR and just used the 1 Nikon System. (The Coolpix A uses a battery that is fully compatible with the Jx and the V3 so it is a very reasonable alternative to a Jx with the 10mm.)

I think I have the best of both worlds now.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow