Boston Marathon "Up Close & Personal" - A7 + Cheap Nikkor zoom ROCKS!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,438Gear list
Like?
Boston Marathon "Up Close & Personal" - A7 + Cheap Nikkor zoom ROCKS!
3 months ago

Probably 7 years ago, I bought a 70-210mm f4-f5.6 AF Nikkor zoom because it was smaller and lighter than my 80-200mm f2.8 which was great on my D70 and D300 for my kids' sports and theatre, but a lot to carry otherwise. I'm leaving for a week in Israel, and wanted a tele zoom for the A7, and this seemed a good bet. My Vivitar Series 1 f2.8-f4 is faster, but in the bright sun of the Galilee, I wanted to opt for the smaller/lighter Nikkor.

I shot almost all at f8, camera in S mode. The rest should be in the EXIF.

Understand that what follows are a selection of shots by someone who has been shooting sports for more than 50 years. I know the real story of an athlete is written on his/her face. And so, at 22.6 miles into the marathon, i stationed myself so I could shoot into "oncoming traffic." The story of what it takes to compete in this sport is written on the faces of the competitors below.

Thank you, Sony, for making a magnificent emotion-capturing-capable machine that deserves to be focused on the efforts of God's most magnificent creations.

And if you want a lens like this, you can pick one off eBay for about $50, and rest assured, optically, it is likely to equal or surpass the new $1400 Sony in real-world shooting.

All my marathon images are here on Flickr .

The design of this zoom is that it puts the focus where you can adjust it with the fingertips of the hand cradling the lens - so yes, this is a closer view of the same runners in the image above as they got closer.

To me, part of the joy of photography is intensified by proving you don't need to buy your way into better images.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D70 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow