What ISO to keep on A mode?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,075Gear list
Like?
Depends on your camera! ;-)
In reply to Sandy70, 4 months ago

Hi Sandy70,

first let me say I am all for sticking with A mode - many photographers do this, as it means you're controlling the depth of field which is one of the ways to convey the 3rd dimension.

Now what ISO to use?  Really depends quite a bit on your camera.  For example my DSLR, a Nikon D7000, has really rather clean images up to ISO 1600-3200 in good light, and up to ISO 1600 in lower light.  As a result I often leave in in Auto ISO (where the camera adjusts the ISO by itself, i.e. leaves it as low as possible depending on the Aperture I have chosen) with a max ISO set to 1600 and I don't worry about anything.  And if I'm not in Auto ISO then I have set my camera so that while the front wheel changes the Aperture, the back wheel changes the ISO directly (gotta be a bit careful).

But again:  I don't know which camera you are using, so I don't know up to what ISO the images are still clean enough, or how good the Auto ISO is, and so on.

Sandy70 wrote:

I figured out that I would like to stick to A mode when i require to shoot non-moving objects. I would switch to S mode when i want to change speed frequently. Would that be a right approach for a beginner like me?

For rotineday time still images, eg landscape,street views,portraits, What should be the starting ISO-200/400 range?.

Thanks

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow