Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zenpmd
Contributing MemberPosts: 765Gear list
Like?
D7100 Buffer
4 months ago

I am still trying to work out what system I should get for shooting action. It may be a FF camera but having previously owned the D5200 I know that the current Nikon's produce superb images.

I had qualified out the D7100 on the basis of its buffer but I just found this, and wanted to ask if it is correct or not?

"If you shoot 14-bit lossless compressed RAW, the bufffer is a measly 6 images large. At the camera’s native frame rate, that’s just 1 second of shooting before the buffer slows.
However, turn the D7100′s RAW quality down to 12-bit and true (lossy) compressed, you get a good 9 frames in before the camera slows down. Then, jump to 1.3x (total 2x) crop mode, and you get a good solid 10-11 frames (at 7 FPS!) before the buffer fills."

I expect to shoot action in crop mode and presumably 12 vs 14 bit doesn't make any real difference? In which case 10 images in the buffer is more than enough!

zenpmd's gear list:zenpmd's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
Nikon D5200 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow