Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
richiebee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,031Gear list
Like?
Noise questions: D7100
3 months ago

I'm contemplating an upgrade from my D90 to the D7100.  One of the things I would like to achieve (though these are not absolute make or break points) is to be able to do classical concert photography at my workplace.

Two questions relating to noise -

- Sensor noise: will I see the whole improvement in noise performance at high ISO between my D90 and the D7100 in RAW or does some of that difference come from the camera's processing of JPG?  In other words, is some of the high ISO performance improvement due to image processing or does pretty much all of it come from an improved sensor?

- Shutter noise: okay, noise of a totally different kind.  One thing that's held be back with this is the amount of noise a DSLR makes when taking a picture.  I know the D7100 has a quiet mode, and I've seen a video of it on YouTube.  It seems to be a significant difference.  However, that's with a microphone right next to the camera.  In real world, is it quiet enough to be relatively unobtrusive in a concert setting, or do I still need to shoot during the loud sections only?  We're talking groups as small as solo piano or guitar, and upwards of 10-12 performers of a professional standard, from the back of a 300 seat auditorium.  I'm not concerned about the larger groups that I know I can hide behind. I'm not concerned by a drop in shot to shot speed by going to quiet mode.

richiebee's gear list:richiebee's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +2 more
Nikon D7100 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow