What do you think of this MF lens? wide open at f2.8.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
René Schuster
Forum ProPosts: 12,005
Like?
Re: What do you think of this MF lens? wide open at f2.8.
In reply to yfan, 3 months ago

yfan wrote:

The photo was taken with a Vivitar 28-90mm f2.8

Not a constant 2.8 but a 2.8-3.5.

If you are into old manual lenses and even old zooms, I wouldn't sell it, it is definitely one of the better old Vivitar zooms, made by Komine! I like this one better than the earlier constant 2.8 35-85 S1 Betenski creation made by Kiron.

But no matter how nice these old zooms are, we shouldn't forget that in their days "zoom" is what it was all about; "zoom" was the new feature, that started selling with the Kiron made 70-210/3.5 Vivitar S1 lens!

When it comes to IQ I prefer an old prime over any old zoom. But even very good old primes, like my Vivitar 200/3.0, 135/2.3, 135/2.8 CF and some great 90 and 105 mm macro lenses might have problems now and then with a little CA/PF or not so perfect contrast, due to the imperfect lens coatings of these days.

After a few days with the old stuff it is always surprising to see the quality of our modern kit lenses (in my case Oly)! But when it comes to criteria like build quality or maybe Bokeh, the old ones are usually the winners!

RS

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow