Fuji X100s - slow autofocus compared to X100!

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sutto
Regular MemberPosts: 328
Like?
Fuji X100s - slow autofocus compared to X100!
5 months ago

Has anybody else noticed this?  I bought the new X100s just before I left for Vietnam - about a month ago.  I had not fired any shots in anger, so did not really know what to expect.  Just got back to Australia last night, so need to sit down when I have time to P/P my RAW files in L/R.

However, it was very noticeable and I can categorically say that the new X100s, is markedly slower at focus (especially in anything other than bright light), than the old X100, with the latest firmware.  WTF??

I love the files from the X100s - because for the type of pictures that I shoot, they give me more dynamic range and more latitude for cropping.  If it was not for that, I would be selling the X100s.  I lost quite a few shots because of the slowness of the autofocus - shots that I never lost on the X100 with latest firmware.  I found this very frustrating.

In case somebody thinks I had it on the wrong settings, or did now know what I was doing, or messed things up - that is not the case.   I have shot thousands of pictures on Fuji cameras and know the setup and the idiosyncrasies of these cameras.  Comparing apples with apples - the new model is noticeably slower than the old model!

Has anybody else noticed this problem?  Has anybody had time to load the latest firmware (I have not) - has it helped?

It is a very sad situation, because Fuji took a big step forward with the sensor on this camera (in spite of the fact I thought otherwise, before trialing the X100s properly), then a giant step backwards with the autofocus.  I really can't work this one out.   Why would the old model be consistently faster than the new model?

Thoughts anybody?

sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow