Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kaedepics
Regular MemberPosts: 298
Like?
Tombi at the beach
4 months ago

Last weekend I took my daughter to the beach in Enoshima, Japan and from a previous visit I new that there would be an opportunity to shoot a bird known as Tombi in Japan which translates to Black-eared Kite. This birds hover above the beach and frequently swoop down to steal food. So I decided to take my DA"200 my longest tele and get some pics.

Not a birder I had my camera set up for what I normally shoot and realised after my first few shots that center point, afs would not cut it plus the images were just black blobs against a white sky. Even though it was slightly overcast shooting against the sky I had to dial in +2 comp.

I wasn't getting focus so I change the settings to 9 point af on my k5ii and afc hoping this would improve my hit rate but still I struggled. I would see a Tombi flying toward me in the distance and raise my camera to my eye half press the button to focus and discover that my lens was at the wrong focus point to focus quickly enough on the bird. I even struggled to get a sharp image when they were just hovering above.

I suppose I can get around the slowness of the lens by prefocussing with quick shift and the diopter adjustment should cover my failing eyesight. After my first try at shooting birds I now appreciate how difficult it is to get the shot. Below is one image of the bird I was trying to shoot.

Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow