Bokeh comparison between Sigma, Otus and Nikkor 58mm

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
HSway
Senior MemberPosts: 2,760
Like?
Re: Bokeh comparison between Sigma, Otus and Nikkor 58mm
In reply to fpessolano, 8 months ago

fpessolano wrote:

Depends what you look for. They are very different tools. You can group the sigma with the zeiss (except if you do video), but the nikkor is something else. Just like previously the zeiss 85 and the nikkor/sigma 85 were.

The nikkon is a special lens (like the Zeiss 85), not my taste, but definitively not replaceable if I would need that special look. Sigma is what everybody will probably pick (assuming AF is decent). OTUS is what who can afford and enjoy MF (or do video) will probably buy.

Different tools is good.

The Sigma is also a lot bigger based on a completely different design, and 58/1.4G isn’t exactly small. Well twice the weight of the Nikkor.

But I think that fast lenses that are critically sharp at their fast setting in the central zone that have good - very good bokeh will be in demand. They will draw attention for hand-held use and for other kinds of use where subject isolation is required. So I think that the Sigma Art and the Zeiss Otus lines will represent a new standard in that regard and so will be established - widely among the photographers.

Photorumours is suggesting that while the next step in Otus line is 85, not surprisingly, the Art would rather go after another frequent FL challenge - 24/1.4 . So the lookout is that things will not get "boring" on this front any time soon.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow