Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TrumanLA
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
My D800 and the contrast ratio...
4 months ago

So, I'm a pool video "journalist" if you want to call it that. I chronicle high caliber play, money matches, etc., and use my D800 to do so. There are some real constraints.

You nearly never have time nor budget to setup even distribution of lighting. There will always be (as evidenced) a hot middle area trailed off by dimly lit surrounding portions on the table. IF I use my canon camcorder, this effect is less dramatic.

Is this an issue of the exposure setting (spot, matrix, etc.), my F? (I can't go to a high F without making either very dim video or grainy (though I'd imagine I could pull a lot of that detail out post).

I'd imagine with such superior and large a sensor in my D800 over a sub-$1k camcorder that provided the correct settings, a higher quality product is capable, with all other external factors the same.

I DO realize that this isn't what people who made the D800 a video DSLR had in mind, but sometimes I run out of battery on my canon and can't get a long enough extension cable and have to make do.

Advice anyone? (I'm assuming it's a matter of settings)

Here's a D800 sample:

Nikon D800

Here's a Canon G10.

Canon G10

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow