Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Thronsen
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
D800 and SB700 AF assist missed focus
3 months ago

I have a serious issue on my D800 where often it seems to badly miss focus in low light conditions. The focus is fine in sunlight, it is only indoors where I sometimes find myself having a problem. I appreciate that AF is always a bit more difficult in less then bright light, but the conditions Im talking about can usually be handled easily by even an entry level DSLR (i.e. decently well lit room, nothing like candlelight).

After a bit of investigation, I think I have tracked down the problem to using the red AF assist light on my SB-700. Shots taken with the SB 700 AF assist light off (either via menus or when the ambient light is bright enough) seem to come out well. Yet those which use the SB 700 AF assist light have pretty poor focus results.

I found at least one person who seems to have discovered something similar:

http://adapting-camera.blogspot.sg/2013/10/the-nikon-d800-has-serious-af-accuracy.html

Has anyone else experienced this? Are there other Nikon flash assist light problems that I should know about and test? For example, I did notice that the red flash AF light seems to hit outside of the focal point I am using.

My camera has been updated to the lastest firmware. I received my camera as part of the original NPS batch on release, and have had it in once for the left AF problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow