ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dervast
Contributing MemberPosts: 569
Like?
Smaller sensors with faster apertures vs larger sensor with slower apertures
5 months ago

Hi,

I am not sure if this discussion has been discussed like that but  typically one can find on the internet information for sensor performance and for optics performance.

What happens now if one wants to combine both?

I am looking for some time for a very affordable upgrade of my old sx230hs canon (this was a power zoom 1/2.3 camera with faster aperture being 3.1).

In the market I can find two type of products that fit my bill.

-A more premium compact that would sacrifice zoom for faster apertures and larger sensors, like the olympus xz2, lumix lx7(kind more expensive), fujifilm xf1

- A Nikon 1 series camera with the kit lens that has the largest sensor I can afford, but the kit lens (that is on the price) has fastest aperture of 3 point something.

Even though the Nikon 1 sensor outperforms the compact cameras I gave (1/1.7 vs 1 inch sensor) I am not sure how the overall performance would be (overall shooting experience). In terms of light I think the Nikon 1 would need two times the iso compared the very fast apertures of the premium compacts I gave.

How one should do such comparisons? Taking into account sensor performance with the coupled optics?

Have you ever tried to approach such problems?

Regards

Alex

Fujifilm XF1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
GF5New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow