Bokeh comparison between Sigma, Otus and Nikkor 58mm

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Nexu1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,968
Like?
Re: Bokeh comparison between Sigma, Otus and Nikkor 58mm
In reply to ebuddha, 8 months ago

ebuddha wrote:

I do not own any of the 6 lenses, but from looking at the comparisons presented, I'm not sure why anyone would get anything but the Sigmas.

Because some people are willing to trade off some sharpness for improvements in the out of focus background rendering (i.e. bokeh) of the photo.  If you've ever looked at a portrait and seen an out of focus background that was really busy and distracting, to the point it significantly takes away from the overall pleasing appearance of the photo, then you might be one to care about bokeh.

That said... I think the tradeoffs in sharpness and bokeh are relatively even.  Some people overrate sharpness (for example, the difference between an 8x10 portrait on my mantle with adequate sharpness and one with elite razor best ever sharpness is usually not even noticeable to the person standing in my living room) and at the same time some overrate bokeh (for many shots the lenses & bokeh will be very, very, very hard to tell apart by all but the most snobbish of lens nerds).  All just my opinion of course

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow