richarddd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,918Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic 7-14 - Usage tips for UWA neophyte
In reply to Anders W, 7 months ago

Anders W wrote:

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Subject motion. For that shot, I wanted the stars and the clouds to remain stars and clouds rather than star trails and cloud trails. Of course I tried both though. This one is at ISO 400 and 520 s (pulled back nearly four stops in PP for the scene as a whole and a bit more than that in the sky but with the shadows slider at 100).

Another fantastic tip I hadn't thought of. I could have used that Sunday night. That is one thing I'm not too found of with that shot , the stars aren't spot on.

If you want to have the stars look like stars rather than something else, I'd say the max shutter speed is about 30 s. But that's on the border line and you might want to go down to about half that, as I did in the ISO 1600 shot you asked about.

A formula I've seen to get stars rather than star trails is:

Max Exposure Time = 600 / (focal length * sensor crop factor)

Some use 500 rather than 600.

I haven't tested.

I've already had that particular privilege. The "old" E-M5 was the first body to have that feature. See here for a few observations on how it works:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50399103

Will check it out. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Florida
I'm going to the Florida Keys in early May. Offer suggestions in the thread below. Thanks.
Florida Keys - Places to photograph
Winter Wonderful Land Flickr Set
Fall Colors 2013 Flickr Set

-- hide signature --
 richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow