Do you think Canon will take on the A7?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,319Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you think Canon will take on the A7?
In reply to brudy, 6 months ago

brudy wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

brudy wrote:

I wish Canon could catch up to Sony's IQ, or at least DR. I have an A7r and 7D (for birds) and had a 5d2. The A7r has been broken for a month with the part on backorder, so that's ticking me off for the moment, but even then I still miss the responsiveness of Canon's cameras.

The A7r's IQ is pretty amazing when used with the right lenses, but that's not everything to enjoying photography.

Agreed. DR is not everything of a camera, or not even everything of IQ. The main advantage of A7R to my usage is its low read noise such as in evening sky after I pushing up a bit in evening scenes.

I just find the camera fiddly and slightly awkward to use. I keep saying it's ok because the IQ is so great, but at some point I'm not sure it's worth it.

Can you give specific complaints? Personally besides its slow Reponses (it's not designed as a 5D3 like camera anyway), I found A7R is actually easier to use in many areas - especially MF (that is much easier), EC (just move the top EC wheel and you still can EC under M mode that 5D3 cannot), changing ISO (nothing is easier than moving back dial wheel but also easier to accidently bump but I can see in EVF/LCD for any ISO change), IR remote shutter without having to put under 2-sec IR mode as in 5D3, due to much smaller size it's much easier to put on tripod with L-bracket, horizontally or vertically...

I'm having thoughts of selling the A7r once it comes back from repair and going for a 6D even though I know the IQ won't be as good. Or possibly the Fuji XT1.

Sure 6D is more versatile and its IQ is still very good. But what about XT1? 6D IQ certainly is better than XT1 that has lots of hype these days (cooked raw and cheated ISO).

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brudy

In terms of awkwardness it's a few things. The shutter release is in an odd spot that I still haven't come to even like

Heard someone said that also but personally I don't see that is a problem but just at different location and also get used to C1 button that I used very often.

, some of the menus (like aperture) are slow

Slow menus? What that means? Why you need to change aperture thru menu rather front wheel?

, the battery is low capacity,

True. About three A7/R batteries = one Canon LP-E6 battery. So I carried 3 (2 third party ones that got as add-on gifts from the shop I bought camera from) that is enough for one day usage (but I don't run A7R as a machine gun as with 5D3). In addition, I disabled all unnecessary features such as put on Airplane mode, turn off Auto-review...that effectively saves at least 10% of battery. I turned off camera after finishing at one location before moving to another location. There is no way you can push a button to force A7/R into sleep mode that is very stupid as 5D3 can do.  The new firmware update improves startup time on A7R dramatically that is good.

the AF in lower light is pretty bad (like x100 original firmware bad).

True. Personally I never AF in low light but virtually only use MF on tripod at base ISO in my usage.

It is VERY easy to manual focus however, although I have zoom all the way in to get it precisely in focus.

That's the best feature of A7/R EVF that MF is so much easier.

And the size is a dream.

My main reason to get the camera.

But overall, i just don't like using it that much. It's hard to explain, but it's just not enjoyable (until I see the results that is). I'd rather use something more like a Canon or something more fully manual like an FE2 or even my X100, if I'm shooting manual.

Understood. I enjoy my copy nevertheless as it serves my purposes well. I fully aware the A7/R cameras after reading many reviews and tried in the show before I bought it so no much surprises to me.

My leanings toward the XT1 would be because of two things 1- the external controls 2 - size. I think it probably represents the best size/IQ/functionality/price balance right now, at least for my needs.

Good to know. A6000 is hot too. Personally I am also interested in next version of A8 (A7 replacement) and hope Sony puts A6000 like AF in and makes lots of improvements. But also will keep an eye on future 6D2 and hope Canon has a better sensor then.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brudy

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow