Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 24,681
Like?
DR and HDR
In reply to qianp2k, 8 months ago

qianp2k wrote:

brudy wrote:

I wish Canon could catch up to Sony's IQ, or at least DR. I have an A7r and 7D (for birds) and had a 5d2. The A7r has been broken for a month with the part on backorder, so that's ticking me off for the moment, but even then I still miss the responsiveness of Canon's cameras.

The A7r's IQ is pretty amazing when used with the right lenses, but that's not everything to enjoying photography.

Agreed. DR is not everything of a camera, or not even everything of IQ. The main advantage of A7R to my usage is its low read noise such as in evening sky after I pushing up a bit in evening scenes.

I think so many are all so used to dealing with limited DR that we ignore what greater DR can do for us. For example, if this photo:

had been exposed much lower and the shadows pushed a lot, less of it would have been blown.

The problem, of course, is that the two stops extra DR that the Sony sensors offer over Canon sensors at base ISO is just a drop in the bucket for such a photo, as well as many backlit photos.

For this, what we really need is to take at least two exposures many stops apart and combine into a single 24 bit HDR file. The advantage here is not merely a significant increase of DR over the "mere" two stops that Sony sensors offer, but that even a noiseless sensor with infinite engineering DR (when the DR is computed using the read noise as the noise floor) will still be subject to the unavoidable photon noise of the lesser amount of light making up the shadows. The disadvantage of multiple exposures is when there is subject movement, as the greater exposure will require a longer shutter speed.

So, of course, improvements in sensor read noise will always be desirable, but more desirable still, in my opinion, is if 24 bit HDR RAW files for multiple exposures were an option.

I just find the camera fiddly and slightly awkward to use. I keep saying it's ok because the IQ is so great, but at some point I'm not sure it's worth it.

Can you give specific complaints? Personally besides its slow Reponses (it's not designed as a 5D3 like camera anyway), I found A7R is actually easier to use in many areas - especially MF (that is much easier), EC (just move the top EC wheel and you still can EC under M mode that 5D3 cannot), changing ISO (nothing is easier than moving back dial wheel but also easier to accidently bump but I can see in EVF/LCD for any ISO change), IR remote shutter without having to put under 2-sec IR mode as in 5D3, due to much smaller size it's much easier to put on tripod with L-bracket, horizontally or vertically...

The A7R appears to be ISOless for ISO 400 and higher:

http://www.sensorgen.info/SonyA7R.html

So, for the RAW photographer, capping the ISO setting at ISO 400 will maximize the IQ.  However, manufacturers have yet to incorporate an ISOless UI, so the operational disadvantages of shooting ISOless (dark LCD / OOC jpg) outweigh the IQ advantages even for those who understand the advantages of ISOless photography.

I'm having thoughts of selling the A7r once it comes back from repair and going for a 6D even though I know the IQ won't be as good. Or possibly the Fuji XT1.

Sure 6D is more versatile and its IQ is still very good. But what about XT1? 6D IQ certainly is better than XT1 that has lots of hype these days (cooked raw and cheated ISO).

The A7r is a *brilliant* camera from Sony.  However, it's not quite there yet, in my opinion, for what FF mirrorless needs to be.  Canon needs to debut FF mirrorless with a camera not unlike the Olympus EM1, or better, in terms of operation.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow