Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Fish Chris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,859Gear list
Like?
Wrong lens ? ...maybe not :)
8 months ago

I don't know about the rest of you birders, but fairly often, I will be out with my 400 5.6, and I have people ask me if I can shoot their dog... or their bike... or a family portrait, etc. To which I have to explain > To get your dog, I need to be about 50 ft away... to get your whole family, I need to be about 150 ft !

This has actually hurt me a few X's, when I wanted to take a wide shot of something for myself, and only had my long lens with me. I really need to get a little waist pouch, and start carrying a wider lens too. But anyway....

~~~~~~~

So yesterday I was at one of my local stomping grounds, trying to shoot Western Blue Birds in very low light. A buddy of mine was fishing about 100-125 feet away from me, and catching quite a few small bass. After catching one, he held it up just to show it to me, and I told him, "Bro', believe it or not, I can fill my frame with you and your catch, all the way from over here" ! Right about then, the clouds opened up for the best sun I had all day (and of course my Bluebirds were nowhere to be found, during this time)

So I snapped several shots of my buddy and his catches.

I couldn't believe how nice they came out Okay, granted, they don't do a lot to make the fish look bigger (unlike my wide angle, fish-in-your-face shots) but then again, this was not a big fish in the first place... about 2 lbs ? ...and IMPO, the nicest thing about this shot, is the setting as a whole, much moreso, than just the fish alone....

Peace,

Fish

Fish Chris's gear list:Fish Chris's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow