Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,064Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic 7-14 - Usage tips for UWA neophyte
In reply to Abrak, 8 months ago

Abrak wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Well the problem is that, based on the mockups, it's more like a fat sibling of the 75-300 than the 12-40 (or the 7-14, which is pretty close to the 12-40 in terms of size). See here for the likely dimensions of the upcoming Oly lenses:

http://www.43rumors.com/the-big-olympus-pro-lens-size-comparison/

Certainly looks pretty big in that 43rumors post. However not so large in the actual mock ups from the Russian trade show.

Probably, the same mockups, don't you think? I would guess the guy who did the measurements posted by 43rumors had access to images that let him/her judge the dimensions pretty well. Before I saw that size comparison, I had already tried doing the same exercise for the 40-150 based on the images I could find and the estimate I came up with was very close to the one posted by 43rumors, i.e., a length of 16-17 cm.

Note that the FT 7-14/4 is even longer (about 12 cm) than the new Oly UWA zoom and carries a weight of close to 800 g. So considering that the new lens is one stop faster, yet "only" 11 cm, they've done a pretty good job. Remains to be seen about the weight. But I'd think, they'll beat the FT version in that department too, hopefully by some margin. An optimistic guess is 500 g.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow