Preferred travel zoom for m4/3?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Chas2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,218Gear list
Like?
Re: Preferred travel zoom DEPENDS ON YOUR PURPOSE
In reply to Jim in Hudson, 3 months ago

Jim in Hudson wrote:

Which zoom lenses do people like for travel? I know the 12-40/2.8 is highly lauded but I'm not sure I want to plunk down $1000 for my first lens if I buy a m4/3 camera. Are the 14-140 and 14-150 lenses good (I ask as I'm leery of 10:1 superzooms). If yes, what is best to pair for indoor-oriented shots? Many thanks in advance.

By this I mean, if your main purpose for travelling is the photography, that probably demands an entirely different set up than if you are there to also enjoy the time to be with people you travel with. I find that for the latter situation, a smaller, lighter kit may be the ticket, rather than two bodies and an array of lenses. You sacrifice IQ, but not by that much.

The 14-140 II is relatively small and lightweight all purpose lens, for either Pany or Oly cams, and highly flexible, and reasonably sharp. Pair that with a slightly wide (17/1.8 or 20/1.7) to to normal lens (Oly 25/1.8 for small size and weight) for low light and for when you don't want that proboscis hanging off your body, such as at meals, and you are set. The lack of true wide angle may be limiting, and that is your choice on whether you get some kind of ultrawide, be it the Samyang 7.5 mm fisheye, the 9-18 zoom (small and light) or the 12 mm f/2. Bring a flash so you can have some real light, and so you don't get/minimize the shadow associated with a physically long lens like the 14-140 and you have a relatively small, but highly capable kit, that travel companions will likely not complain about.

I think this would be preferable to my other solution which was 14-45, 45-200 and 20. I kept finding the need to change between the 14-45 and the 45-200 and often could not because of environmental conditions or lost the moment. The 20 was perfect at indoors (museums, etc), night and for meals with groups.

I also had the 9-18 which was great, but took a lot more time to use, and caused me to change and lag behind the group causing stress on both parties.

That is my two cents over two bodies with a 12-35 and 35-100 and possibly longer and shorter lenses for higher IQ.

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow