Re: My Thoughts....
In reply to Stacey_K, 8 months ago

Stacey_K wrote:

coreyh wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

coreyh wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

coreyh wrote:

Like I said originally... "My Thoughts"...

Actually you claimed you very easily can recreate the look of this lens with PP from any lens, I'm just asking for a sample.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

LOL, now your really making things up. I'll quote myself and save you the trouble.

"I can also enhance my bokeh very easily in post process by using a radial filter with a slight blur."

At no time did I say that I can recreate the look of this lens with PP with any lens. Wow, your really looking for an argument hey?

when you said "I can also enhance my bokeh very easily in post process by using a radial filter with a slight blur. I cannot however, rid the 58mm of the lack of sharpness and micro contrast."

You sure implied that the smooth bokeh from this lens is "very easily" created in PP. I see, not only are you backing down from this claim, you also "don't have time" to post samples showing this.

And if this image "makes you cringe"... http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53539115

-- hide signature --

Stacey

I get it Stacey. You just purchased this lens and you are defending it tooth and nail. Why do you care what I think?

No one is claiming the 58 is "super sharp", just that for some people it's sharp enough. You on the other hand are claiming it's basically useless wide open. I thought it would be helpful to show readers that it doesn't look like "toothpaste smeared all over the front element" useless wide open as was your claim.

And then there is your claim that it is "very easy" to create nice bokeh in software. Some uneducated readers might believe this is true, which is why I asked for examples because I know it isn't. You have plenty of time to argue but no time to post examples of how easily this is done.

All I said is that I wouldn't spend $1700 on this lens because it is soft wide open.

That is what I don't care about.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey,  Once again you are making things up I didn't say.  When did I say it is very easy to make bokeh?  I said it is very easy to enhance bokeh. If you don't want to believe me then that is fine.  Posting pictures will do nothing because we think differently.  You prefer bokeh over sharpness.  In the end, you have your way of thinking and I have mine.  I'm not trying to convince you that my way is the better way.  I'm also not leading people astray.  If your going to spend $1700 on a lens, you'd be stupid to listen to some dude on dpreview saying it isn't sharp enough for your needs.  Who the hell am I to say that.  I'm just saying there is no way I'm paying $1700 for a lens that has that sharpness at f1.4.  I understand your in the honeymoon stage and have just purchased a lens.  Use it for a year and then let me know if you feel the same.

I guess it boils down to the following.  I'd rather start with the sharpest image possible and enhance the bokeh by blurring slightly, than start with great bokeh and not being able to sharpen properly.

I'm definitely not saying the former will equal the latter in the bokeh department.

P.S. The toothpaste comment was a bit of an exaggeration if you didn't catch that.  I have not tried it with any of my lenses to know what the actual outcome would be.

coreyh's gear list:coreyh's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow