What ISO to keep on A mode?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,321
Like?
Re: What ISO to keep on A mode?
In reply to Sandy70, 5 months ago

Sandy70 wrote:

I figured out that I would like to stick to A mode when i require to shoot non-moving objects. I would switch to S mode when i want to change speed frequently. Would that be a right approach for a beginner like me?

It could be.  I tend to work in an aperture-preferred manner all the time.  If my camera's display shows shutter speeds slower than I'd like at the aperture currently set, I just open the aperture up til the display shows the shutter speeds I want.  An exception for me is scenic shots with moving water (e.g., a river or stream).  Motion effects are dependent on things like speed, distance, and angle, but I generally find that I want a shutter speed around 1/60 second to make moving water look natural to me.  Under open skies, with my camera and lens at their usual settings for daylight pictures (best ISO is 400, f/8 is the aperture that gives both my desired depth of field and minimized lens aberrations), shutter speeds range from 1/1600 second in bright sunlight to 1/200 second on a heavily overcast day, so I need to attach neutral density filters to get the slower shutter speed that I want.

For rotineday time still images, eg landscape,street views,portraits, What should be the starting ISO-200/400 range?

Depends on your camera and output needs.  I believe you bought a Sony A58.  Imaging resource says it gives very clean images to ISO 400, with slightly increased smudging at ISO 800.  Their print size/ISO setting information shows very nice looking prints at 30 X 40 inches at ISO's 100 and 200, 24 X 36 at ISO 400, and 16 X 20 at ISO 800.  Noise becomes apparent to varying degrees above that point, but might still be acceptable for smaller print sizes.  Noise is often more apparent when viewing images on a monitor compared with what you see in a print; since I don't print, I tend to be rather cautious about the ISO settings I'll go to (e.g., ISO 400 looks enough better to me than ISO 800 that I don't often go to the higher ISO value; converting to monochrome works okay for ISO 800 on my camera). The best thing would be to take test shots with your camera at various ISO settings to see where you find the decrease in image quality to no longer meet your expectations, then keep ISO below that point.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow