Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cmac77
Forum MemberPosts: 76Gear list
Like?
My God, it's full of stars!
3 months ago

This is from last Thursday, 11pm in north-west Scotland on a very clear night.

Before anyone comments, I know that this is a rubbish photo from a technical viewpoint. It's noisy and heavily post-processed. I shot JPG at ISO 3200 for 30 seconds, just to see what would happen, and the original resulting image was massively overexposed and, I thought, no use for anything.

But that's OK, I was just playing around and trying stuff for fun. So I thought 'I wonder if I can pull anything out of this mess', so I cranked the contrast way up, pulled shadows and highlights way down, slight bump in saturation, applied some NR and I was amazed by how much detail I could salvage. It won't win any prizes but it's a bit spectacular despite everything.

Best viewed full screen I think.

According to http://neave.com/planetarium/ the big blob on the left is Jupiter, the blob on the far left is Procyon and the blob just to the right of middle is Capella. Kit is a77 + SAL1650.

cmac77's gear list:cmac77's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow