Frustrating wait for the new a-mount.... Upgrade a580 now?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeNannie
Regular MemberPosts: 376Gear list
Like?
Frustrating wait for the new a-mount.... Upgrade a580 now?
3 months ago

I'm sure I'm not the only one anxiously waiting for a new a-mount camera.

I'm leaving for a week of vacation on Friday and would love an upgraded camera. A move from my a580 to the a77 is very very tempting today. But, the rumored announcement of a new version has me stuck.

If a new camera is really going to be announced at the end of next week, it probably makes sense for me to wait. If I knew a new camera wasn't coming until fall, I'd buy the a77 today.

The current camera ticks a lot of the buttons (lots of nice features compared to my a580)  I'd like to see in my next camera, but not all. I'd like wifi, better high ISO performance, on sensor focusing, and an improved EVF. Obviously, no idea if the new a-mount will have any of these items either.

I understand Sony not making public any camera roadmap so that they don't cannibalize existing camera sales, but it's driving me nuts. If not for the upcoming vacation I'd be more patient, sort of

Renting doesn't make sense to me because the cost is too close to just buying the current a77. I could buy it now, then sell it if there is a new camera announced, but that would probably cost me a few hundred dollars. Worth it, maybe?

Analysis. Option 1.

Buy a77 and grip today $798. After vacation, and announced new camera, sell the grip, $150, and my a580,  $350, sell a77 for $450ish?  Total proceeds $950. Netting $152 ($950-$798).

Cost of the new camera $800-$1500? Net cost of the new camera $650-$1350.

Or, option 2.

Wait for the announcement. Then sell the a580 for $350 and get the new camera. Net cost $450-$1150?

difference between option 1 and 2 about $200.

What would you do?

Sorry for the rant, just thinking out loud this morning.

MikeNannie's gear list:MikeNannie's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Sony SLT-A58 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WaitNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow