Extension tubes, new and old, what are your experiences?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BasiliskPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 675
Like?
Extension tubes, new and old, what are your experiences?
5 months ago

I have been building my AI/S kit of lenses (Tokina 17mm f3.5 RMC, Nikkor 28mm f2 AIS, Nikkor 50mm f1.2 AI and Nikkor 105 f2.5 AI), finding some great and characterful optics. It has to be said, though, that the minimum focus distance is a bit disappointing on some of these (though the 28mm is pretty good for close up work).

Sticking with the old school approach, I am looking at buying some extension tubes - bellows are probably a bit clunky - something that will go with my nice compact kit just to add a bit of extra close focus. I have seen some great photos taken with the 105mm and a short tube. I might get a reversing ring for the super close  up.

So if you are using tubes, which brands have you tried - good and bad? If I can use the tubes with my AF lenses (screw driven with electronic coupling) that would be good too, but not essential. At the moment I am looking for an option that is good value, but solid.

I have a macro lens, but I would like to keep the discussion to adaptation of non-macro lenses.

Please share!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow